Adventures in Knitting

Wednesday, December 5, 2012


It's here! My Cyber Monday Sale Knitpicks.com order! I'm a little excited.

I ordered on Cyber Monday (that was November 26) and my box of goodies arrived at its final destination on the 30th (that was last Friday). I didn't dash out to the depot to get it as we are waiting on another package. Not yarn, but important nonetheless.

Yesterday (Monday...a whole WEEK after I ordered!) my mom stopped by to visit (very uncharacteristic of her) and during our conversation, I learned she was headed to the UPS depot where my box of yarny goodness was languishing. So, details in hand, off she went to pick up both her packages and mine.

Hours and hours later, mom arrived at my knit night to deliver my Knitpicks box. It seems that most of northern New York State and a everyone in south eastern Ontario has had packages shipped to this particular UPS depot. The lineup to get your package is two hours long. People were wrapped around the building into the parking lot. In the rain. And according to the UPS employee, the lineup looks the same at 7am as it does at 10am as it does at 4pm. Mom, with my sister, waited in this two hour long lineup for four packages. They were damp and hungry when they got back.

At knit night is the best time to open a big box of awesome. Yarn was passed around the table and squished and fawned over. I may have converted a new knitter or two in the process. We'll see.

Just in case you're interested (and even if you're not) here's what I got. (Pretend it's an Eye Spy game...)
  • Set of Sunstruck Interchangeable needles for The Girl Child for Christmas
  • 3 Harmony (purple!!) circular needles so I can finally get going on my Rams & Yowes
  • Chroma Fingering in Grey and Midwinter for Deep In The Woods mittens
  • 2 Stroll Tonal in Thunderhead (grey) which will be 2 pair of socks at some point
  • 1 special buy Stonewashed (also Stroll tonal)
  • 2 Shimmer Lace in the colour 'Spice' which will hopefully be Holden Shawlettes by the 24th
  • 7 Shadow Lace in Garnet Heather with a skein of Shimmer in 'Sherry' for the Classic Lines Cardigan. For me. For Christmas. So I can't play with it yet.
I'm all motivated to knit. First up is the Holden Shawlette (more like a scarf). Mr. A and I wound the first ball of Shimmer lace last night and as I cast on, I realized I've never knit a triangle lace thing yet. I hope it works out...

After the Christmas knitting will be Rams & Yowes and a pair of the grey socks for The Girl Child once she chooses a pattern. The mittens and my socks will wait.

There is talk of a spring Knitpicks sale on the Ravelry forums. Why did I not know of this? A sale is a very motivating force. I will hope to knit up a good portion of this newly arrived box by spring. I might definitely will need sock yarn by the spring...don't you think?

Mrs. A.

1 comments:

Rudee December 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM  

That's one glorious box of goodness that appears to be worth the wait in line to obtain! I think you owe your mum and sister a bowl of hot soup, or at least something hand knit.



  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP