Squares!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017



This is my tiny collection of Koigu. Mostly KPPPM. It's my new favourite. It's my new favourite not only because it is lovely all on its own, but also because it's solved a long standing problem for me. 

Years ago I was looking for a scrappy pattern to solve the What To Do With Sock Yarn Leftovers problem. Of course I found the famous Sock Yarn Blankie as well as the Hexipuff of The Beekeeper's Quilt fame. Neither stuck although I gave each the good ol' college try. I tried a few related off-shoot modular things as well. Nothing stuck. 

I learned a few things though. I wanted a modular pattern for a long term project. I wanted something easy to memorize. Something that travels well. 

I think I have finally found it!


For posterity, I will share the story of tracking down the pattern with you. It wasn't easy. 

While reading the recent Vogue Knitting magazine, I saw an ad for a pattern called Pastel Squares Scarf. The scarf excited me as it seemed to be exactly what I had been looking for. The ad was advertising Koigu yarn and the small print mentioned the pattern being available in Koigu Magazine 8. 

Finding Koigu Magazine 8 was my next challenge. My 'local' yarn stores - the closest of which is 45 minutes away - didn't have it. The very cool and excellent Yarn Truck answered my inquiry though...they would have it - and save a copy especially for me! - in a few weeks when they opened for the season. 

So I waited and Mr. A and I made a day of driving an hour and a quarter to a very small town north of here where the Yarn Turck was having its opening day for the season at a craft fair. I spent a few minutes picking out a couple of skeins of KPPPM to go with my Magazine and, mission accomplished, I was happily on my way home. (Also, it was a lovely day with Mr. A.)

I swatched, if you can imagine that I would do such a thing. I even washed the swatches and laid them out shaped nicely to dry. 

And now, finally, I have begun to knit. And I am very pleased with the outcome. Which, for some reason, I must show you sideways:


The funny thing is, the Pastel Squares Scarf pattern has not shown up on Ravelry yet. There was a bit of online discussion as to whether the scarf pattern, shown in the Vogue advertisement, was included in Koigu Magazine 8. It is, I can tell you with certainty. But when Koigu 8 went live on Ravelry, it was not included in the database entry. Curious. 

I am looking forward to amassing a collection of squares and then arranging them in a pleasing layout and perhaps making a bed sized blanket with them. They knit up so quickly that they are a wonderful solution to that 'I never finish anything' feeling. I've made ten or so in the last few days and I feel pretty proud of myself. Hopefully all continues as established...

~Bonni

0 comments:



  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP