October's Book Club

Friday, October 29, 2010

I've been going to a book club for a bunch of months now. I kinda like it. Not too surprising considering that I've always been a reader...

I was a bit scared to go as I've not ever been a terrible intellectual, philosophical sort of girl. Oh, how I wish the deeper meaning, the prevailing theme, the irony, the archetype would all jump out at me and I would make really intelligent sounding conclusions about that which I have just read. Sadly, not gonna happen.

I just get sucked into the story. And I've learned that I truly do enjoy a good, gripping story.

Book Club started when a few of us started to frequent a certain coffee shop a little too often. A once-a-month excuse was born.

Book Club is 'led' by a very cool, really smart homeschooling mom who got tired of her stuffy book club...so she started her own! She invited people she enjoys spending time with, who enjoy reading. Attendance leans toward being homeschooler heavy, but that just makes me love it all the more. There are no rules or required reading lists. There are suggestions and sometimes themes. And this cool, smart homeschooling mom who 'leads' our group has a knack for asking questions that inspire discussion and - this is big - helps me to see all those things things my high school English teacher wished he didn't have to point out to me.

This month we 'discussed' The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. A couple of us had wanted to read it to see what all the hype was about. It's a simple mystery and I couldn't figure out why it had to be such a thick book...but then I figured it took that long to get interested enough in the edgy female antagonist to feel the need to follow her story in books #2 and #3. I'll read the rest of the series, I think. The writing style is very easy to power through. The gritty, raw bits - presented in a very matter of fact way - turned off a couple of the more conservative in the group.

We came away from our coffee and chatting this month with a theme: mythology. I'm going to try out Margaret Atwood's Penelopiad. I haven't picked up an Atwood book since high school...and that was under duress. Hopefully I've matured since then. We'll see. Others suggested included God's Behaving Badly, Marie Phillips; American Gods, Neil Gaiman and The Stolen Child, Keith Donahue. I'm inspired - especially about the Keith Donahue book - and look forward to wading in.

Some suggestions from the group follow. I'd not try to make sense of it as we tend to be a little scattered in our discussion. I love it!!

  • Genesis by Benard Beckett -a modern Brave New World?
  • The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde - technically, this meets the requirements of some people's definition of a romance
  • The Girl With the Glass Feet by Ali Shaw - apparently the final sentence clinches this book as a favourite for many
  • The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
  • Triskellion by Wil Peterson - suggested when asked for a 'quirky' book
  • A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Towes - a more modern 'coming of age' story, perhaps.
I'm off to start the Penelopiad,

~Mrs. A

2 comments:

Unknown October 29, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

Hey! How ya' doin'? I haven't stopped by in a while and I cannot for the life of me remeber why. I hope you are well. I'm still spending one day at a time, in Bedlam...

jugglingpaynes October 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM  

I second The Graveyard Book. It's an excellent read.

Peace and Laughter!
Cristina



  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP