Picky Eaters

Thursday, May 14, 2009

I've never been one of those 'Milestone Mom' people. I don't have the pencil marks on my doorway keeping track of my kids' growth. That's what well-kid check-ups are for. I don't have a baby book with dates when teeth were first gained and then lost and gained again. That's what the dentist is for.

I'm more of a camera person. So when a milestone sneaks up on me, I do try to snap a pic for posterity. After all, I'm sure when the kids grow up and have kids of their own, they'll want to know when they first slept though the night (age 9 for The Boy Child) or when they started reading (age 3 for The Girl Child) or when they got the Chicken Pox (Spring 2008, ages 8 and 10). They're gonna love the Chicken Pox pics I've got filed away.

Today we had another of those milestone surprises. Mr. B and I BBQ'd chicken burgers for dinner. Being the mean mom that I am, I didn't make an additional dinner for the children. They're not burger people. They're not really even ground beef people. They're kinda reluctant BBQ people, in fact. They are chicken nugget people. It occurred to me that if there was no other option, they might go for a chicken burger.

After a little anxiety inducing discussion they both understood that it was chicken burgers all around. They could eat the naked chicken breast and leave the bun, for all I cared. It's just chicken breast for goodness sake!

In the end, chicken burgers were added to the (very short) list of dinners that we all will eat. Much to my surprise, The Boy Child even ate the bun. It's a good thing I was sitting down. For the Boy, it's the chicken with ketchup, naked bun. For the Girl, lettuce, cheese, the chicken and the bun.

Please excuse the strange facial expressions in the pictures. After all, their mouths were full and they were laughing at their crazy mother who insisted on taking pictures of them eating.



  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP